Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been working to implement my office inspiration. That’s code for an office makeover. See, I’m so addicted to HGTV that I actually snap photos off the television, have a binder of magazine cutouts, and have even hired a room designer. But that’s not the story.
As a romance writer, I love, well, anything romance—crystal chandeliers, sleek black lines, pearls, scented candles, French soap, fresh-cut roses, love letters….You get the picture.
But, currently, my writing space is up against a flat white wall in a dimly lit room that is in desperate need of a makeover! But let me not digress.
How am I supposed to be inspired by love when my own space screams business?
With 4 boys and limited rooms in my cottage home, I had to find a space where I could combine functions and quiet. In my house, no one wants to do laundry. So unless I’m running the machine, that room is pretty silent.
So, with the help of a designer and using the HGTV color palette Urban Organic (paint palette of same name found at Sherwin Williams), I created the perfect working, yet romantic, space by combining these seven decor items:
- Old World Charm
- Garden Accents
- Family Memories/Inspirational Messages
- Atypical Desk (Wine Bar in Lieu of Desk, Cushioned Chairs with Back Support)
- Globe Lighting/Candles
This room was a complete redesign. I did most of the work myself, even the stool re-upholstery. My hubby did the electrical upgrades. Together we hung the cubbies—I held, he drilled.
Office Inspiration Come to Life!
Here’s my romantic creative space. Just outside the 2′x8′ window, the garden and sparkling pool temp my gaze, the sun rises over the mountains, humming birds flit about the feeder on the other side of the window just inches away.
And best of all—my floor buddies (my dogs) will always feel at home…’cause I’m in their space, too. Along with the cost breakdown, here’s what I updated for a total project cost of $761 of creative bliss:
- Paint: Jersey Cream semi-gloss, brushes, floor clothes, rollers, tape. ($52)
- IKEA Cubby System: 6 cubbies ($60)
- Lumber: ($6)
- Assorted Baskets: 3 grey weave, 3 rattan with black accents ($96)
- Cabinet Hardware: ($45)
- Bar with Stools: ($280; original cost $560)
- Re-upholster stools with single curtain from Pier One ($32)
- Updated electrical outlets ($10)
- Updated floor register ($9)
- Staples Photo Board: Upholstered with curtain remnants to match chairs ($20)
- Staples White Board ($20)
- Designer Over Window Wall Art ($25)
- Flat Black Spray Paint ($5) (Bed, Bath, and Beyond Mirror, re-purposed)
- Towel Holder (re-purposed basket)
- IKEA Tumbler Lamp ($17)
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond Faux Roses ($8)
- World Market red photo frame ($5)
- Princess House votive and scented candles ($45)
- Designer Wall Shelf ($15)
- Homegoods inspirational message art ($8)
- Joann’s Fabric inspirational message art ($20)
- Screws ($3)
Note: Many items purchased at consignment or re-purposed to reduce cost.
I’ll start working in my new space tomorrow. I’m so excited to see what new magic springs from my mind and finds its way to the blank screen!
How can you find simple ways to infuse your creative space with romance?